Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Week 23!

Week 23 might be a weird time to start this blog back up. But that's just how it's going to be.  :)

My due date is July 16, 2013.  A little less than 4 months away.   Time seemed to move so slowly in the beginning, waiting anxiously for my first ultrasound at 10 weeks.  But looking back now, at 23 weeks, I have no idea where the time has gone!  

This weeks' main talking point: working out! 

As we all might now, I am a big runner.  Josh and I have done about 1 half marathon a year, for the last 3 years.  We also do a whole bunch of random races throughout the year.  We love running and competing against each other.   Just working out in general has been a big part of my life since college. I just assumed that when I got pregnant, I would continue on with my workout routines like normal.  Maybe just scaling the intensity down..   Which is exactly what I did the first time I was pregnant this past summer.  And then I had a miscarriage in the first trimester.  While I am 100% certain that running and lifting weights did not cause my miscarriage, it can really just make your mind go crazy.  You start to analyze every little thing that you might've done, while reality is, most early miscarriages are the result of chromosomal defects.  

So, when I found out I was pregnant again this past November, I couldn't bring myself to run.  The mind is a weird thing sometimes.  I still went to the gym for a little while and walked on a treadmill.  But that was the extent of my workouts.  And I was ok with that.  And then, somewhere around week 7-8, intense nausea and sickness came about.  It was all I could do each day to get off the couch.  I was barely eating.  The thought of even going to the gym made me nauseous.  So I took a nice 3 months off of working out.  I was losing weight during that time anyway, so I felt ok with that decision. :)

So now, here we are.  I started going back to the gym maybe a month or so ago.  I mostly walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes at a decent speed and a small incline.  Obviously nothing like what I'm used to, but I'm ok with that.  It's just good to be getting back into it.  I also recently started adding the elliptical to my gym routine, which is nice.  It brings my heart rate up more than walking.  

Since I'm getting bigger, a lot of my old workout clothes just aren't cutting it anymore.  I didn't know if I wanted to buy actual maternity workout clothes, or just get a size up in regular ones.  And then I found these awesome tank tops at Old Navy.   They are baggy enough in the stomach that I feel like they should be made for pregnant woman! (But they're not maternity!)  I was even able to buy my regular size at Old Navy (XS) and they still fit so well, with room to grow!  

So here I am at week 23:



Here is the tank top at Old Navy: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53934&vid=1&pid=387760072

Those leggings in the picture are leggings I wore pre-pregnancy.  I just wear them down a little lower on my stomach.  I did end up buying a pair of workout shorts in a size medium this weekend though.  Definitely the biggest shorts I've ever owned, but they are so much more comfortable that my usual running shorts. 

I will most likely end each week's blog with the following questionnaire.  It seems like a nice way to keep track of everything I'm feeling week by week!


How far along: 23 weeks!
Total weight gain: Since my last doctor appointment this past Thursday, I am up 10 pounds.  I don't weigh myself at home though, so I probably won't have an accurate answer to this every week!
Maternity clothes: I love them!!  Maternity jeans are my absolute favorite.  I can still get away with a lot of my old tops though.  I love wearing tank tops with a cardigan over them.  I haven't had to buy many maternity tops yet. 
Stretch marks: None (hope I didn't just jinx myself there!)
Sleep: Just fine so far.  I wake up randomly almost every night with an intense leg cramp.  And I get up 1-2 times to pee.  But other than that, I can still sleep very comfortably.
Best moment of this week: Josh was able to feel her kick from the outside over the weekend!  
Miss anything: Running.  Amaretto sours.  
Movement: There has been a TON of movement lately.  I can feel her moving around all day.  It doesn't bother me yet, and it's definitely reassuring.  
Food cravings:  I had a craving for sushi the other day.  I have yet to fulfill that.  I do enjoy my daily salami sandwiches for lunch, as well!  But I've always loved salami sandwiches.  Hummus has also been big on my list lately. 
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nothing in particular, yay!  If I would've answered this months ago, my answer would've been "everything."
Have you started to show yet: Definitely.  
Gender: Oh yeah--don't know if I've mentioned it.  IT'S A GIRL!!
Labor signs: I recently started feeling some Braxton Hicks.  I didn't know what was happening at first, but that's what they are, according to my friend, Liz.  My stomach just feels like it gets really tight once in a while, and then loosens up again.  Nothing intense, but I can definitely feel it.  Maybe only a couple times a day though.  I just didn't know they started so early!
Belly button in or out: In.  We'll see how long this lasts.  I feel it's definitely on its way to pushing out!
Wedding rings on or off: On.  And they're still a little big on me (always have been).  But it's still winter here.  
Happy or moody most of the time: I'd say happy.  Maybe this should be a question for Josh!?  :)
Looking forward to: Opening Day!!  Still 2 weeks away though. :(

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're still exercising! I do think it made things a lot easier for me. And love the workout clothes. I got a pair of bigger shorts, too. A coworker I've run with let me borrow two of his shirts so I used those and they worked fine. I didn't even have to worry about stretching them out because they were big enough. That might be an option eventually for you if you know someone who's bigger. I can't go without wicking shirts anymore and wasn't going to pay money for maternity workout clothes. And congrats!

    ReplyDelete