Thursday, October 29, 2009

Andddd we have a winner! (bread related)

It seems that we have found a great bread recipe, after trying a few! This one did everything we wanted it to--it rose well, without sinking in at the top, it didn't get the bread-kneader thing stuck in it when I took it out of the pan, it made nice BIG slices, and most importantly, it tastes good!

Here is the wonderful recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1 packet yeast (I think that's 2 1/4 tsp?)
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:
Place water and yeast in bread pan and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Then, add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed.
Set bread machine to Basic bread; light crust setting.

Here's a couple things this recipe does differently, which I think makes the bread turn out better. First, it has me add the yeast directly to the water. I'm not an expert at bread baking, but I think a lot of recipes tell you not to let the yeast touch the wet ingredients. So I thought this step was weird, but it definitely worked! This recipe also had me adding more salt--which helps the bread rise more. And lastly, even though it's technically wheat bread, I should set my bread machine to the basic bread setting, not the wheat bread setting. The basic bread setting doesn't bake it as long as the wheat bread, which makes the crust not as hard.

Now, here's some side-by-side pictures for your comparison to my last recipe:


See how the top actually rises? :) And here, it's sunken in. :(



These pieces look normal. And these pieces don't. And the
kneader is stuck in there.




So there you have it. Good sandwich, and toasting bread.

Stay tuned...I will soon be posting aout my homemade soft pretzels I recently made and my Halloween shortbread cookies!

1 comment:

  1. That is a nice looking loaf of bread!! Way to keep working at it!!

    ReplyDelete