Sunday, February 1, 2009

Grapefruit with bananas???

Well, it's Day 1 of the next 1001 days. Ever since I finished my list a couple weeks ago, I've been thinking about which items on the list I wanted to tackle first. I thought it'd be cool to knock off a big one on the very first day...you know...like #37: Build up to $10,000 in our emergency fund or #69: Be able to do 40 push-ups at one time. But, let's face it. I'm not close to either one of those.

While I haven't done anything big today, and I don't really have any plans to do anything big in the next 7 1/2 hours that there are left in the day, I have accomplished THREE of the ongoing ones. Yesss, three of them.

We'll start with the easy one. I sure hope I accomplished this today, because my goal is to do this all 1001 days and it would sure suck to mess it up on the very fist day. #76. Take my multi-vitamin every. single. day. And I got up this morning, and took it right away. Feel free to be proud of me. Actually, you don't need to feel that proud of me. I'm usually pretty good at taking this. I'm not cheating by adding a really easy one to my list, however, because my downfall with taking my vitamin is when I run out of vitamins. Even though I'm a big planner, I NEVER plan ahead with getting a new thing of vitamins before my current one runs out. On average, it takes me about 2 weeks before I remember that I need more. Soooo, it's for times like those that I put this on my list.

Speaking of vitamins, I thought I'd just let you know that I recently switched to the Target brand of the women's multi-vitamin. They're like...$2 cheaper than the Centrum One-a-Day! I find that to be a lot of money. For the past 6 or so years that I've been taking this multi-vitamin, I've always looked at the cheaper brands...like the Target brand, or Walgreen's brand, or Roundy's, but I'm usually too afraid to try them. However, now that I've finally made the leap, I've realized that they are EXACTLY THE SAME THING! I even took the time to compare the percentages of all the vitamins in them, and yes, they are exactly the same. This is going to save me like...$12 per year. I could probably buy a squirrel with that. And because I like pictures, here's a picture of my Target brand vitamins:



And also, a picture of a squirrel for your viewing pleasure.




Ok, so the vitamins are good so far. On to my second accomplishment of the day.
#40. Eat at least one fruit a week. You may not think that's a big deal, but it is for me. I don't eat fruit. Ever. I SWEAR that I have what is called an "oral allergy". No one believes that I have this, but I am not making this up! To back up my problem, I will direct you to this website: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm
In short, an oral allergy is a reaction from the proteins in fresh fruit, vegetables, and pollens. In fact, a large number of people with an allergy to pollen, have this oral allergy. And yesss, I have an allergy to pollen. So there.
Now that you have my explanation to why I don't eat fruit, I am going to try to incorporate one fruit a week at least into my diet. I pretty much took this to the next level today, and had TWO. And this is probably the best combination of fruit a person can eat. Bananas cut up on grapefruit. And in order for it to be good, you have to eat the slice of banana at the same time as the piece of grapefruit. This might be my staple fruit for the most of these 1001 days. So you can visualize this wonderful creation, here is what I ate this morning:



And since I bought 4 grapefruits, I will hopefully be eating this 3 more times this week. This is going to be a big week.

And lastly, on to the third and final item on my list that I did today. #8. Give Josh a massage 3 times a week. We do like to give each other massages, especially after a good workout. But sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to do it. So, in order to make sure I'm being a good wife, I made my goal 3 times a week. I don't have a picture of this like my previous two accomplishments, but again for your viewing pleasure, here is a picture of the love of my life. :)



I also need to give a nice shout-out to Josh because today is his half-birthday!!! He's pretty excited too. The big 25 1/2. It really is a big day.

1 comment:

  1. This is the most humorous blog I have ever read :-) it really made my day - love the grapefruit and banana pic - grandma kinkead would be proud - she started that tradition. I have also switched to generic vitamins - as well as generic Aleve, Benadryl, Claritin and anything else i can find. Maybe I should buy squirrels :-) Nice pic of Josh at our place, too! And I always believed you had a fruit allergy - dad and i were bothered by some fruits, just not as much as you.

    ReplyDelete